THE PETERSON HOUSE
The Peterson House was built during the 1850’s in Manhattan’s West Village as a very grand mansion — the widest on the block — by the family of Henry Peterson, a wealthy iron merchant. Over the years the property passed through the hands of a Wall Street banker and several noted artists. In the 1970’s, a group of analysts and friends of psychoanalysis took up residence and established the Center for Modern Psychoanalytic Studies and New York Graduate School of Psychoanalysis.
This four story brownstone townhouse features a classic high stoop leading into an elegant premier étage parlor with three distinct spaces, huge windows, high ceilings with crystal chandeliers, and massive sliding pocket doors that open up the entire space.
Other classic features include crown molding, sculpted window and door frames, beautiful parquet floors, a small “Dean’s Office” off to one side, and a terrace overlooking the ground floor garden area in the back. Recently renovated, the parlor floor retains its 19th century charm and most of its original architecture. It comfortably holds upwards of sixty. Downstairs you’ll find a beautiful library, and administrative offices.
Best availability is during the Academic summer vacation months…May, June, July & August.
16 W 10th Street New York, NY 10011